[LAU] Program or script to simulate a CD based on toc-file

Andreas Ruge andreas.ruge at gmx.de
Mon Jan 30 18:24:12 UTC 2012

Hi Julien,

>    I'm looking to see, how accurate my understanding of toc-file writing is. It
> was exactly Ardour's support for that, which brought me onto it. We're
> considering of integrating something slightly similar into another software.
> But before we actually can do anything with it, I want to make sure, that I
> don't tell nonsense and that we have all the restrictions quite in order.

You mentioned pre-gaps and (sub-)indices. I've just tested, when you
run cdrdao with the "simulate" command and the verbosity set to
level 3 ("-v 3") you will not waste a disc and still get the cue
sheet printed out as it is sent to the drive--among a lot of other
output though.

The cue sheet printout might look cryptic at first glance, but it is
not actually difficult to read. The colums are:

CTL/ADR, TNO, INDEX, DATA FORM, SCMS, MIN, SEC, FRAME

You are only interested in those rows where the first column's
second digit is "1". For those rows read TNO and INDEX in
combination with the time given by the last three columns (MIN, SEC,
FRAME). This is the layout of your tracks (there are 75 FRAMEs per
seconds), and you can study the outcome of different TOC files.

Best

Andreas