[LAU] Chord finder

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jul 3 06:40:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 10:38 +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> >> BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!
> >>

> > Well, another chord we name it different here ;), but don't worry,
> > everybody should understand what app you wish to get.
> >
> One which automatically transposes C to G =). Or, alternatively, that
> recognizes a Gsus.

Serious, is there a command line tool or a GUI based tool that
"calculates" cords?

OT: At least I should fire up Qtractor now, but I'm still short in time.

FWIW I don't care, I only know that the OP is mistaken, because I teach
music and the pupils wished to know about theory. For "God's sake", in
Germany we also have a "theory of harmony" regarding to it's
functionality, e.g. c d# f# a is a symmetrical cord. Nobody cares about
it's name, but we care a lot about the emotions people listening to this
cord.

Since I'm a guitarist most of the chords I prefer are named insane.

Jimi Hendrix: Eb(no 3rd), Aadd9 and the sharp ninth, E7#9. Set to the
situational context I simply name "E7#9" "E major", so a simple blues
gets "Voodoo Chile"-quality.

However, as long as we don't try to get a certificate from an academy,
the names of cords are completely irrelevant.

It's bullshit, nobody needs to know. For a gig we need to know what
emotion should be transmitted, so we only need scripts that remind us to
the basics, such as C or C-. If the cord is a 7, major or minor etc.
shouldn't matter.