[LAU] [AvantPorn Mekanik Metal made with Linux] SEBKHA-CHOTT - The NeXXXt Epilog - 22/09 - Teaser, mp3 and more

Aurelien tyranorl at free.fr
Thu Jul 5 15:04:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 08:50:12PM +0000, Dan MacDonald wrote :
> Hi Aurelien!
>
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Aurelien <tyranorl at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > So here I'm back with a new album (the 5th) of SEBKHA-CHOTT made with
> > Linux.
> > It will be released worldwidely on 22nd of September by Muséa Records
> > (in collaboration with AMMD and Dogmazic). Preorders are available until
> > 8th of July here: http://www.sebkhachott.net/spip?The-Ne-XXX-t-Epilog
> >

> > The best is probably to listen to/look at more than talk about:
> >

> > *Video Teaser* (blender inside)
> > http://www.sebkhachott.net/spip/?NeXXXt-Epilog-Teaser (html5 player)
> > on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/v/1ZJomB-5HCs
> >
> > *Audio*
> >
> > http://sebkhachott.net/spip/IMG/flac/sebkha-chott_nexxxtepilog_phialshapes_short-10.flac
> >
> > http://sebkhachott.net/spip/IMG/ogg/sebkha-chott_nexxxtepilog_phialshapes_short.ogg
> > and with a live video mapped on it:
> > http://sebkhachott.net/spip/?NXE-Phial-Shapes-short-on-Tant (html5 player)
> > and on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB6i8jglAfQ
> >

> Great!
>
> Thats not too psyche at all for me - in fact its just how I like it! This
> phialshapes is the best thing I've heard you guys do yet so I'm looking
> forward to the album!

Oh, nice, thank you very much!
If you want to get it quicker, and at minimal costs, preorders are
always opened until Sunday. But as it's free art, you might also wait
and get it freely when it'll be released online.
But we believe in Zappa's Fetichist Touching Potential!!

> If we're going to be making comparisons lets get it right - SC are clearly
> France's answer to Mr Bungle - which is as great and rare a compliment I
> could give a band really as Mr Bungle are one of the greatest bands ever
> IMO.

Hey hey hey! This is indeed a *great* compilment!!!
Mr Bungle is clearly one of our favourite band, especially DiscoVolante.

> I'd say you sound mostly in-between their 1st and 2nd albums and is it
> a co-incidence you have the same initials almost as SC3?

it's a coincidence. Actually Sebkha-Chott did exist before SC3 was known
of the public (Sebkha-Chott began in 1999).

> Speaking of SC3 - have you ever managed to get any feedback off Spruance or
> Patton on your music? If you've not sent them anything yet I think you
> should at least get this new album to them.

Actually, I'm a bass-student of Trevor Dunn, which is not so far. We
never managed to get in touch with Trey Spruance, which is a shame, but
hu, he must get billions of mail, or whatever, and didn't reach Patton
either, though Trevor talked about us with him, but we never had
feedback about this... Hope one day or another!!!

> > *List of softwares used*
> > - Distributions
> >         + Debian GNU/Linux (recording master)
> >         + TangoStudio (control)
> > - Drivers and DSP managers
> >         + FFADO developpment version (Saffire Pro 40)
> >         + ffado-mixer
> >         + ALSA (RME HDSP 9652
> >         + hdspmixer, hdspconf
> > - Session Handler
> >         + ladish
> > - MIDI sequencer
> >         + seq24 (customized version)
> >

> Customised? Please spill the beans! Have you upstreamed your mods yet?

Humm, my customizations are quite crappy in programming terms!!! I
proposed them to Guido, but they never were applied, because, I suppose,
they're too crappy.
Now that I have a bit more experience in patching and so on, I might
rewrite them a bit more clean, and mightbe... all is matter of time,
btw.

Basically, the changes are the following:
- custom number of rows/columns (I needed more than 32 sequences)
- custom number of screenset
- screenset might be changed by MIDI messages
- play/stop/relocation by MIDI messages different from MMC (i.e. note,
  PC, CC),
- number of measures might be written by hand, allowing one to use odd,
  even number, or whatever he wants,
- numerator of measure might be written by hand, allowing one to use
  asymetrical measures...

I think it's all (I patch it several years ago, and do not use the
upstream version since!).

> > - Synths
> >         + Alsa Modular Synth
> > - Samplers
> >         + Tapeutape
> >

> Tapeutape? You're very likely the only band in the world who uses this!
> Have you tried Rui's samplv1 yet?

There is Hitmuri and the Hobart Phase, too.
Actually, I really love this sampler, really lightweight, and so on, and
I know Florent (Hitmuri) quite well, so it's an advantage when you need
some modifications!
I tried several other things more as a knowledge base than for
Sebhka-Chtot, but as completely happy with Tapeutape for Sebkha-Chott!

> Do you guys know William Mox Drossard? I can't say I've ever seen him post
> to this list but he's another Linux using machine I fully believe SC will
> approve of.

I do not know him. Any link?

> The best contemporary British avant-porn act IMO is Liverpewl's aPaTt -
> have SC heard these too?
>
> http://apatt.com/

Yeah, we know of them, as they tour with the same tour manager as SC3.
They're great indeed. Never had the chance to see them live, but they'll
be on tour in Europe in Autumn, so, mightbe?

> If you've not heard them already I'd be surprised if  your band don't end
> up having musical kids one day. I saw them support Secret Chiefs in Salford
> last November at it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to plus I got
> to speak to Trey and Timb - they're really nice guys!

Yeah, they look like!

> PS I spotted you in #bash the other day! :)

oh, I don't know what it's about!! ;)

--
Aurélien