[LAU] Cannot set -C and -P devices using qjackctl

James Harkins jamshark70 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:58:30 UTC 2012

OK... I am having a really strange problem with qjackctl. Ubuntu 12.04, Jack 1.9.8, qjackctl 0.3.8.

I've chosen my USB audio interface for capture and playback -- .jackdrc looks like this:

/usr/bin/jackd -P70 -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:1 -Phw:1,0

But, when qjackctl starts jack, it uses -Chw:0 -Phw:0.

What's even more strange is that it was working yesterday. Today, no luck. No matter what I choose for the capture and playback devices, it always uses the laptop's built-in hardware. But, if I run the jackd command in the terminal, it DOES use the right device. So it seems simply that qjackctl is issuing the wrong command.

As another test, I changed the hardware buffer size, but that is used correctly. So it's only the devices.

I've heard of other problems with qjackctl vs. jackdbus -- is qjackctl the wrong tool? What is the right tool?

Sorry if this is too basic a question. jackaudio.org is, unfortunately, no help at all: I would have thought the page about "Configuring and running a JACK server" would explain:

http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/User/GettingStarted

... but it's empty.

Help...?
James