[LAU] Cannot set -C and -P devices using qjackctl

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jul 10 21:23:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM, James Harkins <jamshark70 at gmail.com> wrote:

> At Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:25:42 -0400,
> Paul Davis wrote:
> >     Not trying to be difficult, but ultimately I will need -Chw:1 -Pft4,
> where ft4 is defined in
> >     my .asoundrc. Not sure how to do it properly, if -C and -P are not
> the right way.
> >
> > its not ideal, merging the input as well into ft4 would be better. i
> assume that you've read http:
> > //jackaudio/multiple_devices ?
>
> I did read it, but I find it confusing. The example under "Linux" says
> that it's for two devices, both 2-in, 2-out. But the pcm.merge device lists
> only four bindings, which are either the four input channels, or the four
> output channels, or magically one binding represents one channel of both
> input and output.
>
> This device has 2-in, 4-out. So, if it's the last case (one binding
> represents duplex), then it isn't clear from the example how to have a
> non-duplex pair. But if the example shows output channels only, then it
> doesn't illustrate how to include the inputs.

the asoundrc doesn't mention direction (playback/capture).  the
pseudo-device defined in the example can be used for either playback or
capture. the example doesn't cover an asymmetric case because that would be
confusing :)

next time you feel like Just Making Music,  i empathetically but strongly
suggest that (a) you do not upgrade your system (b) you use a distribution
that takes the needs of pro-audio and music creation users seriously.