[LAU] Multiple audio configuration requirements

James Harkins jamshark70 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:28:28 UTC 2012

From: Rui Capela
> to ease with qjackctl usage, maybe you can setup 3 presets, one for each
> of your scenarios with the following settings:

Right, thanks, I haven't used presets very much, but will maybe set those up.

> if you suspect jackdbus is messing with above settings, try for instance
> to disable the d-bus interface from the qjackctl setup misc tab. that will
> let you try with plain jackd (no dbus) after restarting qjackctl

Oh, great, I didn't realize you could turn off dbus. That's even better -- I found this morning that it's not enough to kill jackdbus (yes, the off list message suggested "killall -9 jackdbus"). I also have to hack ~/.config/jack/conf.xml before starting jack... which is getting to be pretty well insane, so indeed, dbus is way more trouble than it's worth for me.

From: Ralf Mardorf
> Audio for my Vbox does work without PA.

I stand corrected, then. But, my daily-use setup is working quite well, even with pulse, so the question for me is, is it worth it to "fix" something that is "broken" only because pulse ranks somewhere between bats' intestines and dogs' do's among audio professionals? Maybe not...

From: david
> Unity is default for Ubuntu 12.04. You can install XFCE from the
> repositories and use it instead.

Ditching Unity is one of the first things I did after the upgrade, not only because of the CPU-hungry compositing effects but also, I couldn't find anything. "User-friendly" my *** ;-> So now I'm running Gnome Classic (no effects).

Thanks everyone!
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world