[LAU] Chord finder

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 17:40:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Funs Seelen <funsseelen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm new to this list. This topic immediately got my attention because of
> some surprising statements related to music theory that were posed.
>

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> I recently got into an argument (on the python list so more OT there than
>> here :-) ) about whether a B# is the same  as C.  If we allow that they may
>> not always be the same then we have a case where the
>> theory-of-musical-harmony (may be) breaking.
>>

> I don't understand what you mean with "theory-of-musical-harmony". Not
> intended to repeat an earlier discussion on another list, but C and B# are
> definitely not the same. They happen to represent the same frequency in
> equal temperament but that's all. On keyboards with 12 fixed pitches per
> octave (like a piano) they will also be represented by the same key,
> whether tempered equal, according to Werckmeister's theories or else.
> However theoretically they are different notes. That's one big part of the
> problem piano tuners have to deal with. Very recently I published an
> external for Pure Data (http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~funs/software.html)

This work looks interesting to me...
I have a Casio Celviano with  7 temperaments. I find that most western
'classical' music (Bach and Beethoven) usually sound better in Werckmeister
or Kirnberger than Equal. And  nonwestern music usually sounds much better
with Just (major or minor)

I am interested in carrying the experiments from the 7 fixed temperaments
of the Casio to the theorerically unlimited possibilities of a computer.
But Ive been stuck because:
- I dont know what software to use
- I am completely novice in music theory

Maybe I should try pure data??