[LAU] A Dubstep Tale: Ardour Calf and Zyn

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Sat Jul 14 02:13:19 UTC 2012

Hello Harry!
   This is an interesting combination. After a recent short excursion into
dubstep, I had expected something different. Your track has much more ambience
and atmospheric feeling to it, than I would have expected. Especially when I
stumbeld across the first use of the phaser (is that by any chance the invada
one?). Well, when I hit that, I thought of a mixture of Tomita and dubstep.
The organ does make for an OK bass in this field.
   Yet I missed the pulsing (using rhythmic LFOs) as well as the short sample
looping. I mean these <<1s repetitions especially used for the drum tracks.
   I had the thought: It's dubstep for those, that do like it melodic and have
perhaps not yet encountered that genre. A nice appetiser to get them slowly
used to it, before they get into brutal drums, speaker shredding basses and
occasionally very disharmonic chords.
   I think some more post production could still do a lot to it, if you would
like to invest the time and effort. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with it, but
I think you could give it more bite and more oomph, if you wanted to. I had
the feeling, that there was some dub/raggae in the genes of this song as well.
As I said, an interetng mixture, the link between, what I had come to know as
dubstep and the smoother, more atmospheric and melodic genres.
   Thank you for sharing this.
   Warm regards
            Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;