[LAU] Installed Fedora17, now trying to play sound

Ivan K ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 23:18:55 UTC 2012

Might the file /etc/asound.conf an issue?
With my previous OS (CentOS 5.6) this file looked like:

  #Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
  #SWCONF
  #DEV 0
  defaults.pcm.card 0
  defaults.pcm.device 0
  defaults.ctl.card 0

though in Fedora 17, this file is blank except for the comments:

  #
  # Place your global alsa-lib configuration here...
  #

Also, in the past, with CentOS and other RedHat distributions,
I use to use the tool system-config-soundcard.  It does
not appear that this tool is still available for Fedora17.

Thanks;