[LAU] wiki.LAO - lockdown to registered users

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jul 17 17:51:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Neil C Smith <neil at neilcsmith.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm involved with the management of a range of sites and we find that
> even requiring registration and an email address doesn't necessarily
> cut out all spam.  You might also want to consider something like
> Mollom (http://mollom.com) - it's free for small community sites, and
> developed by the originator of Drupal.

mollum didn't work that well for ardour.org. we eventually turned it off. i
nuke spam (and its creators) by hand.

the best suggestion i've seen was something on a boingboing comment thread
where user registration involves answering several human-ish questions
correctly and then filling in a free-form answer "why do you want to join?"
a few idiots actually write "seo" in there. with a relatively low sign up
rate, this can be easily human-managed, and avoids 99.8% of all spam.