[LAU] Installed Fedora17, now trying to play sound

Ivan K ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 16:09:35 UTC 2012

Thank you for your detailed response!

The things I needed to select where:

  H/W Out 1(L):  PCM Out
  H/W Out 2(R):  PCM Out

Everything works now, sound from audio applications,
and sound from the browser.

The one thing that still continues to confuse me, is
that even though I just have three audio devices in my
computer:

   Mother Board NVidia
   M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
   WebCam with microphone

the number of "sound cards" that the panel in Fedora's sound
card configure GUI refers to is large:

  > HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer)
  > FG0560 Live! Cam Optia AF (Alsa mixer)

  > Capture: VF0560 Live! Cam Optia AF Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Playback: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture:  Monitor of internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)

**> M Audio Audiophile 24.96 (Alsa mixer)
  > Playback: ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Chan I/O Cont. Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture: Monitor of ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Chan I/O Cont. Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  > Capture: ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Chan I/O Cont. Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)

I am guessing that the last four devices all refer to the M-Audio
card.  I chose -- "M Audio Audiophile 24.96" -- and things are working
now.  What exactly are the last three "sound cards" in the list
referring to and under what circumstances would one choose
them?

Thanks go all for your help and patience.

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> On 07/16/2012 11:30 AM, Ivan K wrote:
> >
> > I still hear no sound from coming out of my computer though, so
> > how do I need to configure
> >
> >     xfce4-mixer, alsamixergui, and/or "Envy 24 Control"?
>
> "Envy 24 Control" will directly control your soundcard. Make sure you go
> to the "Analog Volume" tab (I think that is the name) and get the output
> volume up in each output channel you want to use. You do not normally
> need to touch or use the internal chipset mixer.

[...]