[LAU] OT: releasing music under Creative Commons

mn0 mn0 at fukked-up.de
Wed Jul 18 20:58:37 UTC 2012

On 18.07.2012 22:03, Folderol wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:27:37 -0700
> Kris Calabio <kriscalabio at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, to bump an old thread, but I want more feedback about this.
>> With a
>> cc-by-sa, what are the pros and cons of other people selling my music
>> without requiring my permission?

Pro
-exposure for free
-links to your page
-SA stops them to use it where big money is involved. (They'd buy a
license from you instead of putting latest hollywood movies under sa)
-easier to manage for small broadcasters of all kinds.

Con
-Other people can distribute physical devices of your work and earn
money. You better offer these yourself, too. If you can't afford
pressing a cd, that would blockbust the music world... maybe someone
else is going to do it for you.

> In theory the SA (share alike) should stop them, as if you've given it free,
> they would have to do the same.
SA means derived works are given away under the same license, not same
conditions. You may sell them.

>How precise the wording is and strong the
> protection is, I don't know.

read it here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode

quoting 4b)
"You may Distribute or Publicly Perform an Adaptation only under the
terms of: (i) this License; (ii) a later version of this License with
the same License Elements as this License; (iii) a Creative Commons
jurisdiction license (either this or a later license version) that
contains the same License Elements as this License"

/mn0