[LAU] Really new music: an orchestral poem - no joke this time

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Thu Jul 19 22:47:45 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!
   It had been sitting here, since there was one last instrument to add. But
since Nama is changng a great deal right now, preparing for the next stage,
I'd rather not touch the piece. So dear friend, who is not in yet, excuse me.
It will come!
   So the music first:
http://juliencoder.de/nama/soit_il_la_vie.ogg
http://juliencoder.de/nama/soit_il_la_vie.mp3
   This is the last piece of the album of almost the same title "Soit-Il La
Vie: Intense, Aimante?" It was recorded in december and january. First about
the people helping me on this: There's the unknown doner of the flute - yet to
come -, who also did a lot of listening for me throughout the album. there's
S. Massy, who also lent me a pair of ears. There was the great FA and two of
his students helping me with the Italian bits. My pronounciation - especially
  in old Italian - is not good. :-) And all throughout there is Her!
   It really is an orchestral poem, the basis being a sonnet. Each section is
dedicated to a couplet of this poem, trying as best as possible to represent
the contents. Either using a translation of letters into music, using sounds
as such to mirror mentioned images (the bell). Oh yes thanks to Fons and a few
other again for pointing me towards those websites dedicated to the
synthetical creation of bells. And then of course there's is harmony and
rhythm trying to convey meaning. It's all spaced throughout this piece,
whatever fits best, whereever it is needed.
   Instruments used were the wonderful gigatron sample-library by q based on
the samples from Taiji-guy - if I remember correctly, a real triangle and
again my anonymous doner with a slide guitar. I'm so sorry! There's the
nordlead for the bowed contrabass, a string sample from my Korg synth and a
Solina String Ensemble sample as a gigasample.
   As software Nama played the main roll - as ever! Thank you very much again
Joel for the tremendous work you put into it! Then there was LinuxSampler,
which also played a heavy part in it. Some LADSPA plugins for processing and
Fons' jconvolver, without which I couldn't work neither. I can't remember the
IRs used for this.
   There is also one musical quotation from Leo Delibes ballet Sylvia, which is
connected to the textual citation.
   Last but not least: the finished album consists of: "Shout - the song tat
shall", "Whisper - Since In Love, Verity Is Altering", "Lullaby -Singng In
Lullabies, Vowing In Adoration", "Raw Magic", "A Good Companion" and "Soit-il
la Vie: Intense, Aimante". The full album wold also comprise the original
poem, but you'll have to excuse me on that point. :-) the dedication of this
album is a simple one, since I'm not clever and only know a few tricks of the
art, which I tend to use over and over again. :-( I say: let it be a start, a
first chapter, that may have interesting chapters following it. Thanks to
everyone, who showed patience with me, answering stupid and clever questions,
listening, playing and contributing in any other way. That of course includes
very much all the developers from around here. You know wyo you are and
everybody else does too. :-)
   Futuristically yours
           Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;