[LAU] JACK, qtractor and TAL Noisemaker on Pandaboard success story

Kaspar Bumke kaspar.bumke at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:44:11 UTC 2012

Great stuff Dan!

I too am really interested in these new ARM board appearing everywhere and
what role they could play in Linux Audio.

It seems like you are going all out for the most powerful one and seeing
how far it can go head to head with the x86s.

I have been looking closer at the BeagleBone and wondering how some of the
Linux Audio projects, that separate out the "Engine" and the GUI, such as
SooperLooper, LinuxSampler, Bristol and many more could perform on a device
like that.

While the BeagleBone does away with the Graphics it also has no onboard
sound. So I have been researching CODECs that have Linux drivers that could
be interfaced with it. So far the Analog AD1939 is coming out on top. It is
a 4-in 8-out 192Khz capable device and the drivers are part of ALSA. So I
have been gearing up making a Beagle Cape with this thing.

A major concern for me is that, even without X, even with a CODEC connected
over I2S I won't get the performance (and memory) I need to run any of the
aforementioned programs.

Have you done any tests running audio programs without X?

Another thing, have you been compiling yourself or are the repositories for
ARMv7 for this kind of stuff fairly good for Ubuntu?

All the Best,

Kaspar