[LAU] Ardour: delay in audio when recording

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Jun 2 18:03:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, 21 May 2012 06:46:52 -0700,
"Len Ovens" <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote :

> Yes hardware is best. Using envy24control or mudita24, go to the
> patchbay tab and select "Digital Mix L" and "Digital Mix R" as your
> output to 1and 2 outputs. Then on the first tab "Monitor Inputs"
> unmute the track(s) you are using for mic in and set the levels where
> you want. Then goto the next tab "Monitor PCMs" and set the levels of
> the audio coming from the Ardour tracks you already have. That will
> setup your monitor mix. The ardour inputs will see the levels set by
> the analog volume controls

I haven't had much chance to continue with this setup since then.
Today I'm trying to monitor a hardware synth going through a LADSPA
echo effect, set in Ardour.  The echo would be used in such a way as an
integral part of the playing, and not jut as a cosmetic add-on.  Is it
possible to monitor the output of the Ardour synth track + the LADSPA
delay which is patched after Ardour's volume control for that track (I
also tried patched before it) ?  Ardour shows that there is signal
coming in.  Sounds go out only in playback mode.

Is it possible to monitor it w/o Ardour actively recording and with
Ardour recording ?  I have connected the track's L+R output to playback
3 and 4 using QJackCtl, but the envy24 VUs are not showing any signal.
Hmmmm... I reckon that it might be not so easy to picture the setup.

envy24 patchbay digital mix for both

envy24 monitor inputs 7+8 are hardware synth inputs, signal is shown,
audio is heard.

envy24 monitor PCMs are all very quiet, nothing.

Ardour's track gets capture 7 and 8.  LADSPA echo is added pre or
post.  Signal is shown in Ardour. No audio heard.  After recording, at
playback, audio is heard, shown on envy24 monitor PCM 1 and 2.

How can the signal with the echo added be heard w/o recording ?

Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated !