[LAU] jack2 creates 4 threads

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Jun 5 11:03:38 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 10:17 AM, Krause, Mathias wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> [sorry for last posting, including signature ... hopefully, this time it will not be there...]
>
> i switched my system to use jack2 (1.9.8). As i wanted to make sure, that SCHED_FF is used and threads got the right priority i took a look at ps:
>
> I can see, that jackd includes now 4 threads. Only one of them is using SCHED_FF with higher priority. Is that correct?
>
> regards,
> Mathias

Only the audio-engine is supposed to have elevated priority. The other
threads are for logging, dbus communication... and similar non-realtime
tasks that are not supposed to interfere with audio performance.

Here jackdbus 1.9.8 - starts 7 threads by default. Only one with
SCHED_FF and the given RT priority, but three others that use SCHED_FF
as well. USTL or ask on jack-devel.

#ps -ALo pid,class,rtprio,pri,stat,comm | grep jackd
29450 TS       -  19 SLsl jackdbus
29450 FF       1  41 SLsl jackdbus
29450 FF       1  41 SLsl jackdbus
29450 FF       1  41 SLsl jackdbus
29450 TS       -  19 SLsl jackdbus
29450 TS       -  19 SLsl jackdbus
29450 FF      70 110 SLsl jackdbus

jackd 1.9.9 without dbus spawns 4 threads:
# ps -ALo pid,class,rtprio,pri,stat,comm | grep jackd
 5966 TS       -  19 SLsl jackd
 5966 TS       -  19 SLsl jackd
 5966 FF      10  50 SLsl jackd
 5966 TS       -  19 SLsl jackd