[LAU] FireWire audio on Linux: past, present and future

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Jun 15 14:13:29 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 09:14 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Some recent FireWire related development in ALSA got me interested, so
> I ended up doing a large-ish interview with Clemens Ladisch of ALSA,
> and the FFADO team on the state of support for FireWire audio
> interfaces in Linux.
>
> http://bit.ly/MvgnxU

Excellent article/interviews. However, it ignores a rather salient
development - the gradual disappearance of Firewire from desktop and
laptop machines. The last time I shopped I was surprised to see that FW,
like PCI, is becoming rare hardware, presumably due to improved
performance from USB3 (?).

Otherwise a fine piece. Thanks for the pointer, Alex !

Best,

dp