[LAU] Jack chokes on merged device defined in .asoundrc

Pablo Fernandez pablo.fbus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 16:02:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM, James Harkins <jamshark70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> At Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:58:50 +0800,
> James Harkins wrote:
>> I'm trying to configure Jack 1.9.6 on Ubuntu 10.04 (with real-time kernel) to use all four channels of an M-Audio fast track pro. The class-compliant USB audio driver reads a pair of stereo devices:
>
> Hm, sorry for what turns out to be a bit of noise. I just found some old threads online about bugs in the Intel USB chipset[1] which I would guess is in a large majority of consumer laptops, maybe even desktops, on the market today. Those bugs seem to be the cause of the "broken pipe" when ALSA tries to talk to the device.
>
> I guess I'm lucky to get 2-in, 2-out.
>
> Needless to say, I am exceedingly annoyed about this. One more stupid hardware thing to check when looking at new machines...
>
> hjh
>
> [1] Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller. On my machine it's "rev 05" but I guess it hasn't been fixed.

Hi James,

I think this is related to the EHCI driver in your kernel version. Try
with a more recent kernel, for example, the stock kernel in ubuntu
12.04. Read Clemens to understand the problem. Here:

http://old.nabble.com/No-duplex-mode-with-the-EHCI-driver-and-USB-hub.-Is-the-problem-solved--td32799593.html

Cheers! Pablo