[LAU] jackd and alsa devices

"Victor A. Stoichiță" vicsto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:41:50 UTC 2012

On 26/06/2012 16:25, Danni Coy wrote:
> Thanks looks like I need to look at what it would take to have the gui
> front end (Cadence) behave this way by default
>

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Jari Suominen
> <jari.ak.suominen at gmail.com <mailto:jari.ak.suominen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     http://jackaudio.org/device_naming
>
>     2012/6/26 Danni Coy <danni.coy at gmail.com
>     <mailto:danni.coy at gmail.com>>:
>     > I have only been using jackd with the alsa back end for a short
>     amount of
>     > time (been a ffado user for many years). I am also dealing with
>     a friends
>     > cheap laptop which is having issues; basically the order of the
>     alsa devices
>     > is changing with every boot which means I have to configure jack
>     every time
>     > I want to use it.
>     >
>     > Is there any way to get jack to remember the description of the
>     device
>     > rather than the number and search for that description on
>     startup (then use
>     > the device number if that fails). This would seem to me like a
>     much saner
>     > way of doing things to me.
>     >
>     >
>     > Linux-audio-user mailing list
>     > Linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>     <mailto:Linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>
>     >

Hi Danni,

Another approach is to force the ALSA (or actually the kernel) to assign
persistent indexes to your cards. This is done through modprobe options.
See the post here
<http://artisan.karma-lab.net/predeterminer-indexes-peripheriques-alsa>
(in French).
Basically, you edit (and/or create) /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to
look like this:

    options snd-usb-audio index=0 # this ensures that your usb card
    comes in first
    options snd-hda-intel index=1 # if you have an intel card...

You can list all the modules which are used by sound devices on your
computer by running " sudo lsmod | grep snd" this into a terminal. You
can set the index number for all of them, and then Jack should find them
always in the same place. This works even for software were you only
have a dropdown list with card index numbers (where method in
http://jackaudio.org/device_naming does not work).

If you have several usb cards, they will all use snd-usb-audio, but you
can still preset their indexes by specifying vendor/product numbers...
This is explained in detail in the post mentioned above. Please tell me
if you need an English translation.

After editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, make sure you either rmmod
then modprobe the corresponding modules, or reboot.

Good luck,
Victor