[LAU] Simple hardware

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Mar 6 20:49:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 02:52:37PM -0500, Adam wrote:

> Thanks for your advice, Fons!  In my case, this is all consumer-grade
> equipment, and all the connections are line level using unbalanced
> shielded RCA connectors and cables.  In that situation, how much
> difference would the cable length make?  Enough to warrant rearranging my
> entire living room?

The cable length shouldn't matter much unless it's really excessive.

For example, here at home I have an FM receiver and a CD player
both hooked up to my mixer (which in turn feeds the soundcard)
as follows:

* Short 2 * RCA to 1 * XLR adapter cable.
* 15 meter XLR-XLR mic cable.
* Short 1 * XLR to 2 * TS adapter cable.

The 15 meter mic cable is just because all my XLR cables
are at least 15 meter long. The actual distance is 4 to 5
meters or so.

The mixer inputs are balanced, but with this wiring and the
TS connectors they are used as unbalanced. No problems at all.
The receiver and mixer are on different power sockets.

>> If in doubt, check using JAAA.
>
> That looks like a useful program!  I gather I would use it to see how
> much noise and hum my ADC is receiving when there's no audio signal.

Use JAAA to check hum levels (zoom in on the 0-500Hz range, with
a small bandwidth), and jnoisemeter to check overall noise levels.

Ciao,

--
FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.