[LAU] Simple hardware & software for digitizing analog audio recordings

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Mar 6 21:42:00 UTC 2012

Adam wrote:
> Of the three devices you mention (Xonar DX, Behringer UCA-202, Roland
> UA-1G), how do they compare in performance?

The UCA202 is a basic 16-bit device, but I'd estimate it to be
sufficient for your sources.

The UA-1G has a definite improvement in sound quality (24 bits, 96 kHz),
which would give you additional headroom, but it would be interesting
mainly if you're planning to use its additional inputs (mic, guitar,
digital).

The Xonar DX was not designed as a recording interface but as a gaming
card, so it doesn't bother with things like RCA jacks or a separate HP
output for monitoring.  However, it can do monitoring to its shared
front speakers/HP output, and it was also designed for HiFi enthusiasts
which means that its ADC (192 kHz, 112 dB SNR) could eat the USB devices
for breakfast.  Its mic preamp is crap, though.  Consider it if you
actually need a surround output card.

Regards,
Clemens