[LAU] Simple hardware & software for digitizing analog audio recordings

Adam adam707 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 7 15:40:15 UTC 2012

david wrote:
>> Thanks, Clemens! I don't care whether the ADC is PCIe or USB, as
>> long as
>> it does what I need at an affordable price. Either interface should
>> still be usable on my next computer system (low-end desktop,
>> probably
>> later this year).
>
> Hmm, for some reason I thought you were looking only for USB
> devices. If PCI is an option (is PCIe backwards compatible?)

Thanks for replying, David!  No, I'm looking for something that will
work with my next computer (whatever it might be, probably
near-low-end desktop), and I see some of the new ones don't have any
PCI slots, just PCIe, in addition to USB ports.  I don't /think/
PCIe is backwards compatible.  Anyway, I went ahead and decided that
the Behringer UCA 202 would be good enough for my purposes, and have
ordered one from Amazon.

> Mine works fine. Gnome Wave Cleaner is easier - it doesn't have
> all the tools that Audacity has. Could be useful to run your
> recordings through it first, then finish up in Audacity.

That definitely sounds worth trying.  One nice thing is that I can
try numerous approaches, then decide which one sounds best to me.  I
can even make this a two-part project -- once I've gotten everything
worth saving into some digital format, I can leave the digital
signal processing until some future time.

Adam