[LAU] slow operation of jack_connect (was Re: connect ports with jack1 vs jack2)

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Thu Mar 8 20:25:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 03:25:46PM +0100, Giso Grimm wrote:
> jack sessions with several hundred
> ports/connections make jack2 nearly unusable in terms of connection time
> :-( It looks as if it would take four cycles to complete a port
> connection. I think here is some space for improvement (e.g. allow
> asynchronous connections and return immediately from jack_connect), but
> maybe this will come with all the session management solutions...
> (actually both versions have their pros and cons, which is the reason
> for me to switch often between them, depending on my actual needs).

Hi Giso,

The slowness of jack_connect came up earlier on this
list.[1]

It becomes an issue in Nama when a track gets its input from
twenty or thirty JACK clients, especially since Ecasound
needs to re-connect JACK clients every time the audio engine
is reconfigured (which Nama does frequently).

Paul Davis suggested I use jack.plumbing instead.

So Nama now rewrites the jack.plumbing config file
as necessary.

I had to work around some problems that jack.plumbing dies
if it happens to poll while the Ecasound engine has
ports registered but not yet able to connect.

That may not be a problem for the applications you run.

HTH

1.  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.audio.users/68307/focus=68318

--
Joel Roth