[LAU] Text to Midi

Nils list at nilsgey.de
Fri Mar 9 14:52:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:40:17 -0500
"S. Massy" <lists at wolfdream.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> One important way in which I have made music on Linux in the past is
> using text-to-midi software to create tracks. The software I used back
> then, and have used occasionally in the past few years, is midge[1], a
> text-to-midi programme written in perl with a strong emphasis on
> randomisation (randomised timing, weighted random note selection, random
> block selection, etc.). Allas, it does not appear to have been updated
> in nearly six years now, and, though it still works fine for my
> purposes, I'm wondering whether I should switch to something new before
> diving back into text sequencing. Does anyone know of other such
> programmes offering similar randomisation features? I've heard good
> things of Bob Van Der Poel's mma, but its focus seems more on templating
> styles and quick composition: is that correct?
>
> Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated, as always.
>
> Cheers,
> S.M.
>
> 1. http://www.undef.org.uk/code/midge/

Yes,

use Laborejo (www.laborejo.org)
without the GUI, by writing text/command files. You will, essentially, write a very high level Python source file which instructs Laborejo to generate a midi file.
Plus you get Lilypond/PDF with one line more.

It can do most of the "Current Features" listed on the midge website, and more.
I see details which it cannot do, but I have the infrastructure to include these in a very short amount of time.

Contact me in the irc channel #laborejo on irc.freenode.org or use the http://www.laborejo.or forum, but IRC will be better for an initial talk, so I can see what you really want to do.

Nils