[LAU] My JX-8P is dead, any SW based synth that can handle the heritage? :-(

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Sun Mar 11 00:19:38 UTC 2012

Reply to All / Reply to List
On Sunday 11 March 2012 00.26.25 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I realize that nothing is like the real thing, but hope that i can
> > find something that's close enough, or even better.
>
> Google for survival kits and CEM/Curtis chips. If you just wish to get
> the sounds characteristics of some vintage synth and you should be
> willing to use Apple or Microsoft, than you'll find some proprietary
> soft synth there. I dunno if they will do something similar to the
> sound you need from the JX-8P. If you need the full CEM sound quality,
> than you definitively get stuck.

To late for my JX. First, every 8th (or was it 12th?) keys was stopping
to produce sound (but they still sended MIDI signals), so I was able to
use it as a MIDI controller (one of the best keyboards I ever used) and
use another MIDI controller for triggering the jx-sounds. Then I could
not do program changes, and then it stopped to make sounds - all this
within two weeks.

It does exist some Juno SW synths for MS Windows and Mac, but I won't use
it. I'm usually pragmatic and do use both Mac and Windows for work (Linux
is still main OS there also), but here, I run native Linux on everything
and don't want to run another OS in my studio.

> Better? If you expect something completely new, than yes, you might
> find something better, but if you expect something that sounds like
> vintage synth, than all soft synth are less good, far away from the
> originals.

Well, I think I might try to get a new one again but also consider to see
if I can make amSynt or even take my time to learn Yoshimi and see if it
can do the job.

Maybe a bright soul in this group is able to make a modelled JX or Juno
with convolution?

Jostein