[LAU] My JX-8P is dead, any SW based synth that can handle the heritage? :-(

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sun Mar 11 04:28:41 UTC 2012

On 11/03/12 6:55 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> So my question is: Does it exist a real Linux analog-sounding,
> subtractive, chrash free and maintained SW synth that can match or
> substitute the HW above? I've sniffed at great synths like amSynth, AMS,
> but they don't sound that 8P-ish in my ears - on the other hand, it might
> be me that's not good at tweaking them. Is it anybody here who knows both
> the great analogue sounding Rolands and sw synths that can put me in the
> right direction?

I did a lot of work with TAL NoiseMaker on my recent RPM album, and it
was really great to work with. It's very much your traditional
subtractive synth, but it has a good feature set, and a straightforward
UI, and it sounds great.

If you're familiar with programming the JX-8P, then you should feel
right at home; I don't know how close it would sound to the JX-8P in
particular, but it's definitely capable of a lot of those classic synth
sounds. It also has an effects section that includes two different
chorus algorithms, which are at least vaguely Juno-like -- both sound great.

I've been using the native VST version, from the Distrho project, but
there's an LV2 port in progress as well.

Thanks
Leigh