[LAU] My JX-8P is dead, any SW based synth that can handle the heritage? :-(

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Sun Mar 11 12:27:30 UTC 2012

Reply to All / Reply to List
On Sunday 11 March 2012 12.38.10 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> It doesn't sound like an empty battery, anyway, I would replace the
> battery.
> It also doesn't sound like broken oscillators or filters.
> Dunno if some special Roland chip manages the routing and controls.

I changed the battery (and the battery holder). This and serving the
mechanical aftertouch system are usually the first thing I do on those
keyboards.

> > I got my first one back in 1987 and the last one 3 years ago.
>
> You don't own another borked JX anymore? With two of the same or
> similar boards you might be able to repair one of them yourself or let
> it repair one, for less money.

No, I delivered it as electro trash at the recycle station.

I was decided to move on and more or less forget about getting exactly
this sounds for the future, but I turned around 180 degrees and changed
my mind after listening to this:

   http://wvmusic.bandcamp.com/track/spacestations

The synth you hear here is a Roland Juno 6 analog synthesizer (in
production in 1982!). I mean.. listen to how a six voice very simple
polyphonic synth can produce that warm thick sounds and still fit so
perfect in a 2012 mix! It's fantastic and I still don't stop to be
amazed!

Thanks for your comments, I really enjoy this thread.

Jostein