[LAU] Popping sound at the start of every note on Bristol synths.

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sun Mar 11 22:11:46 UTC 2012

On 12/03/12 9:03 AM, Rafael Vega wrote:
> Hello.
> I've been trying Bristol as a replacement to another jack synth that I
> use. Mainly because it doesn't have MIDI control messages support and
> Bristol does.
> However, I've found that there is a popping sound at the start of every
> note. This is more apparent in some models/presets than others. I'm
> pretty sure my jack configuration is fine (has been working fine with
> other synths, ardour, puredata, qtractor, etc.) and I've also tried ALSA
> and two different sound cards (laptop internal and firewire). I also
> tried outputting Bristol straight to system output, passing through
> Ardour, different frame rates and buffer sizes (big ones) and it's
> always the same... Here is a recording of what it sounds like:
> http://public.elsoftwarehamuerto.org/Bristol.flacIs this a known issue
> with Bristol? can someone advice how to get rid of it?

It may just be that the attack on the amplitude envelope is too fast.
I'm not sure if Bristol has this problem, but on many synths, with the
attack time set to its minimum, the envelope opens instantaneously, and
that can cause a clicking sound. Try increasing the attack time and see
if that helps.

Thanks
Leigh