[LAU] aj-snapshot daemon

Jeremy Jongepier autostatic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:37:37 UTC 2012

On 03/12/2012 08:22 PM, Jari Suominen wrote:
> Could you explain in more
> detail what is actually going on so I could investigate a bit.

Probably restoring connections between Yoshimi JACK MIDI ports and ports
created by a2jmidid:

-u     forces a2jmidid to generate non-unique port names (see NOTES)

NOTES
        ALSA  does not guarantee client names to by unique. I.e. it is
possible to have two apps that create two clients with same  ALSA
client  name. JACK  however  requires port names to be unique. To ensure
this unique‐ness, a2jmidid will add the unique numeric ALSA client ID to
  the  JACK port  name.   However  this  behaviour  is known to be
problematic when restoring connections  using  simplistic  tools  like
aj-snapshot  and jack_connect.   In  order to make them work, the -u
option can be used. This option will cause a2jmidid to omit the numeric
ALSA Client ID from JACK  port  names.   In  this mode, ALSA client name
uniqueness must be guartanteed externally

(from the a2jmidid man page, git checkout as of 2011-08-03)

Best,

Jeremy