[LAU] midi file editing

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:09:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Nils <list at nilsgey.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:11:17 +0530
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The attached file is a Bach fugue midi I found somewhere on the net.
> > When I import it into nted it shows alright (ignoring sharp flat mixups)
> > When I import it into musescore the entire bass is replicated into the
> > treble clef.
> >
> > Asking on the musescore lists I get that the problem is with the midi
> file
> > http://musescore.org/en/node/15501
> >
> > I am recommended to use sequencing software to cleanup before importing.
> > What such software should I try to use?
> > [I am asking this after wrestling with rosegarden for an hour or so and
> > getting no sound]
>

> There is only one problem here: "midi I found somewhere on the net."
>
> The solution is: Don't convert midi to notation, it makes no sense and is
> futile.
>
> What you got here is
> Bach, Das Wohltemperierte Clavier I, Fuga IV (BWV 849)
>
> Visit http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=596 and you
> get the notation as PDF, the lilypond source file, a midi and more
> information.

Hi Nils
Yes I am aware that midi is a lower level information than score.
I did not make it very clear in my question earlier (sorry about that) that
this particular piece
-- bach C# minor fugue --
is not specifically important to me as working out a workflow which allows
lifting a given midi to a higher score level.  Nted does a decent job of
this. Musescore less so.  Just searching for the best tool.
Earlier I used nted exclusively. Since now I have a bunch of non-musician
non-linux users getting interested I need something cross platform -- hence
musescore.

Currently my modus operandi (when starting with a midi file):
Read into nted.
Export midi staff by staff separately.
Read each of those midis separately into musescore
Paste together.

And so I am just looking for some better tools...