[LAU] A netbook which is good for Linux Audio

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Mar 14 18:14:24 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 10:38 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 03/13/12 09:00, Louigi Verona wrote:
>> Hey guys!
>>
>> Every once in a while this question is asked on the list. This time it is
>> me. I want to buy a netbook, for it to be easy to carry around and have
>> long battery life.
>> My wife has a Samsung X120, which is great. She runs Photoshop on it
>> quite
>> fine. But it is out of stock almost everywhere.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone of you can advice a netbook that will work well
>> with Linux (I use Ubuntu) and yet have enough performance to work with
>> Linux Audio.
>>

> Hello Louigi,
>
> I think anything will do as long as it runs Linux. I have a cheap
> Packard Bell (part of Acer) and it works fine for me besides some
> quirks. I basically chose it because it had a 11,6" screen and a
> full-size keyboard. If I'd to buy a new one I would pick one out that
> fits my needs, check if the hardware is supported and then I'd buy it
> online.
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

I have a friend whose household uses a mix of Asus and Toshiba netbooks
for everything except a single full-size server tower. They all run
Debian Linux just fine. The Toshibas have very good keyboards. He
doesn't do pro audio on them, so he's been happy with the built-in Intel
sound hardware.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com