[LAU] midi file editing

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 03:55:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> On 03/14/2012 02:51 AM, Renato wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:11:17 +0530
>> Rustom Mody<rustompmody at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  [I am asking this after wrestling with rosegarden for an hour or so
>>> and getting no sound]
>>>

>> Hi, sorry if this is obvious to you, but just in case, you'd
>> probably need a soundfont (like fluidr3) and a soundfont player (like
>> qsynth) to have sound - maybe rosegarden has a built-in soundfont
>> player?
>>

> No, it doesn't. That's what qsynth, whysynth or Timidity (if you can make
> it work) is for.

I upgraded rosegarden, gave up on qsynth and (re)started timidity to use
jack.
Now rosegarden plays without any new connection -- so thanks.

>  Anyway you should be able to make it output the midi of the
>> track to qsynth (using qjackctl), and therefore have sound.
>>

> RG 11.11.42 just automatically connects.
>
> I use RG mostly for scores. Bringing in a MIDI file usually requires some
> cleanup. For one thing, RG prefers contrapuntal compositions to have a
> separate track for each of the melodies, while lots of MIDIs from the web
> have all the melodies on the same track.

So how to cleanup? I only see one staff at a time.
Basic questions: Is rosegarden the (correct) tool to edit/doctor midi files?
Whats the best resource to get into midi jargon like track, channel etc?
And then map it onto rosegarden?