[LAU] Zoom R16

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Mar 15 23:48:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 16:08 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:
>
> > Little known fun fact - if the on/off switch is in the on position, even
> > though you don't have the power cable in or batteries in it, nothing
> > will happen when you attach it to the USB port.  Brilliant design!  If
> > it's switched off it should come up saying ">AUDIO INTERFACE".  Press
> > the right arrow to switch it to ">CARD READER" then press ENTER followed
> > by ENTER, and it should show up on your system.  There will be PROJnnn
> > directories where the AUDIO data will be stored.
>
> Okay, tried it again. And, it works :)
>
> Silly me ... It didn't occur to me that the computer needed to be
> connected at the time of selection. I just thought one set the port to
> <card reader> and then you could plug/unplug ... like a camera :)
>
> Nope.
>
> For others as dumb as me:
>
> 1. Plug the square end of the USB cable into the R16
> 2. Plug the flat end into the computer.
> 3. If the R16 was ON then hit the USB button and select <card>
>     or
>     If the R16 was OFF then the menu should come up.
>
> Either way, when you unplug the cable you lose the connection and need
> to go back to <1>.
>
> Honestly, I think it is easier to just pull the card and use that
> directly in the computer :)

    Yeah, either way works.  For me it's just easier to make sure it's
off and then plug it in.  I found out about the on/off switch the hard
way.  I plugged it in one day and spent about 15 minutes trying to
figure out why it didn't show up like normal.  It was a Homer Simpson
moment.  DOH!  With two of these things I really have an easy time
recording my band - 5 vocal mics, 1 harmonica mic, 3 guitars, bass,
kick, snare, drum overhead, and I still have 3 inputs left!  There is,
as advertised, about a 2ms delay on the second unit but when I insert
the tracks into Ardour I can nudge the tracks from the second unit.