[LAU] Zoom R16

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Mar 17 08:31:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 00:15 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 15 March 2012 at 18:48, Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:

> > > Okay, tried it again. And, it works :)
> > >
> > > Silly me ... It didn't occur to me that the computer needed to be
> > > connected at the time of selection. I just thought one set the port to
> > > <card reader> and then you could plug/unplug ... like a camera :)
> > >
> > > Nope.
> > >
> > > For others as dumb as me:
> > >
> > > 1. Plug the square end of the USB cable into the R16
> > > 2. Plug the flat end into the computer.
> > > 3. If the R16 was ON then hit the USB button and select <card>
> > >     or
> > >     If the R16 was OFF then the menu should come up.
> > >
> > > Either way, when you unplug the cable you lose the connection and need
> > > to go back to <1>.
> > >
> > > Honestly, I think it is easier to just pull the card and use that
> > > directly in the computer :)
> > >

> >     Yeah, either way works.  For me it's just easier to make sure it's
> > off and then plug it in.  I found out about the on/off switch the hard
> > way.  I plugged it in one day and spent about 15 minutes trying to
> > figure out why it didn't show up like normal.  It was a Homer Simpson
> > moment.  DOH!  With two of these things I really have an easy time
> > recording my band - 5 vocal mics, 1 harmonica mic, 3 guitars, bass,
> > kick, snare, drum overhead, and I still have 3 inputs left!  There is,
> > as advertised, about a 2ms delay on the second unit
>
> > but when I insert the tracks into Ardour I can nudge the tracks
> > from the second unit.
>
> What does that last statement mean?  Does that mean that when two
> R16s are being operated that the 2nd of the two sort of, kind of,
> works with Ardour?

    I read the tracks from the Zoom R16s as WAV files and insert them
into an Ardour session.  Since the two R16s are linked by USB when
recording there is a very small delay (about 2ms) on the slave R16.  You
can nudge the tracks from the second R16 to get them to line up exactly
with the tracks from the first R16.  In practice, it's very difficult to
detect the 2ms delay and you usually don't have to do anything to the
second set of tracks.