[LAU] Jconvolver, IRs, and gain

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Thu Mar 22 13:35:48 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm attempting to test some new IRs using jconvolver. I read the
instruction on the config file syntax and it seems straightforward
enough, and I am also using the hybridreverb.conf as a base template. My
problem is that the IRs I want to test are *much* louder than the
hybrid_reverb ones and are causing distortion when convolved. So far, I
went by ear and adjusted the gain to about 0.01-0.03, to a point where I
don't hear any distortion, but that got me wondering. Is there a better
way to estimate what gain setting to use from, say, the mean and peak
levels of the file? Is there such a thing as a preferred amplitude
range/peak for an IR?

Thanks.

Cheers,
S.M.