[LAU] First for Linux

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:55:20 UTC 2012

???

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein at vait.se>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two brand new plugins are included in Harrison Mixbus 2.0.6: A sustainer
> and a
> reverb named Gverb+, wich might be a gverb on steroids - both are very
> good.

OK

> The thing that is very special here is that this LV2 plugins are only for
> the
> Linux version of Mixbos at he moment!

Thats disappointing as I was under the impression Mixbus would be
supporting LV2 on all platforms inc Win and OSX - I think we need to see
SOME support for LV2 on non-Linux (or UNIX clone) OSs if it is ever to
break free of its niche and gain more widespread support. For sure, Reaper
et al won't consider supporting LV2 if Mixbus doesn't.

Will Mixbus support LV2 on Win and OSX any time soon Ben/ Paul?

> Ok, the reason may be that Linux users in general are more geekier and
> handles
> potentially buggy new software better those in the other OSes, but it's
> also
> another new sign that shows that the Linux desktop user is becoming more
> and
> more interesting for commercial vendors. :-)

What is this sign that the Linux desktop is becoming more interesting to
commercial vendors? Mixbus? Android is a major player in mobile which I
suppose could be kinda good news for the kernel (or at least it would be if
the Android stuff re-enters kernel.org as I think Google have a separate
kernel tree for Android atm) and Linux is doing as well as ever server side
but commercial Linux desktop apps are still very much a rarity and this is
normally put down to lack of standardisation between distros and ever
changing kernel and other lib API/ABI's which doesn't look set to change
any time soon.

I know Ubuntu pissed a lot of people off with making Unity their standard
DE but I think thats going to seem like a very minor disruption compared to
Windows 8 - at least under Linux we still have KDE and XFCE etc if you
don't like Unity and GNOME 3. However, Windows 7 has proved popular and MS
will support that for some time yet even if 8 turns out to be a Fista 2 /
ME 3.