[LAU] Issue with the priority of the sound cards using rtirq

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu May 3 12:04:38 UTC 2012

On Thursday, May 03, 2012 07:50:27 AM Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 23:25 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > 222 FF      75   - 115  0.0 S    irq/16-nouveau
>
> Nouveau?
>
> You've got no performance issues using Nouveau? Wow!
>
> I used nv, but since nv is dropped, I use the proprietary driver. When
> I've got time, I'll test the vesa driver or unmount the Nvidia graphics
> and test the FLOSS ATI driver with the integrated Radeon AND I'll
> compile a kernel myself for US Precise too.
>
> Nouveau is a PITA on my machine.

The last time I tried Nouveau, it worked just fine for me, but must have
had a wild pointer someplace, my uptimes were a max of a day & a half.
Using nvidia-current, dkms installed, I have 19 days now.  But this card
has been cooked by a failed & too small fan once, so its days are probably
numbered.  I have gkrellm watching the GPU temp now, shows in the middle
60's C.  I have a cpu cooler that will fit it if there is height room for
it that I'll see if I can mount on it the next time I pull the card because
the temps are getting too close to the bus disconnect messages in the log.
Otherwise, nvidia is selling an economy model with a huge passive heat
sink, no fan.  That IMO is how it _should_ be.  I don't need a 10,000 fps
card burning 400 watts to play klondike.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"Is this foreplay?"
   "No, this is Nuke Strike.  Foreplay has lousy graphics.  Beat me again."
-- Duckert, in "Bad Rubber," Albedo #0 (comics)