[LAU] [Rosegarden-user] rosegarden ubuntu 12.04

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun May 6 08:01:11 UTC 2012

On 05/05/2012 11:25 AM, bart deruyter wrote:

> Gnome 3 would be a good alternative too, if it wouldn't hang so often
> and reduce jack performance so much. I work on an i7 with 16 GB of ram
> and a quadro600 nvidia, so in my opinion that even should be overkill
> for audio production, but on Gnome3 based systems like gnome-shell and
> unity it seems not to be.

Gnome3 appears to be a major resource hog. I've been told that Gnome3
desktop uses 1GB RAM without running anything else. For comparison, XFCE
uses less than 256MB.

My desktop machine has quad-core AMD Phenom II processor, 12GB RAM and
some NVidia card that isn't supported by Nouveau. It works very well
with RG and other audio and graphics stuff I do with it. It's running
the XFCE environment. Some audio distros I know of use XFCE or LXDE
because both KDE4 and Gnome3 have gotten too big. KDE in particular
fires up a whole bunch of KDE system daemons that suck up processor
cycles, check hardware status (a good way to trigger extraneous
interrupts), index the files in your home folder, etc. Lots of
functionality that you might not want to have interfering with audio work.

> The other issue remains though, why does rosegarden make such a mess of
> jack when it exits? I sometimes even have to reboot in order to get jack
> running again after I stop rosegarden.

Hmmmm. What version of Rosegarden? Do you have RG start JACK, or do you
start JACK first, then RG? And do you have the problem if you don't use
Ladish?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com