[LAU] rtirq - what does it improve, and how can I measure it?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon May 7 14:08:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 14:52 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> The network-manager, cron, and other
> things we have heard about, when you get periodic xruns no matter which
> latency you use. Can we make all of those problems go away by changing
> rtprio for devices?

No! There are services that we shouldn't run on an audio production
machine.

It's hard to say what should be disabled and what doesn't matter.

For example, I don't think this counts on my machine regarding to
performance
$ grep noatime /etc/fstab
/dev/sda11				  /mnt/music	  ext3	  noatime,defaults    0       2
/dev/sdb12				  /home/music	  ext4	  noatime,defaults    0       2
but on another machine noatime might have impact to the performance.