[LAU] using linux to manage your gigs?

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 20:16:11 UTC 2012

hi list,

this is one of my busiest times of the year for gigging; I'm usually playing at least once a week, and sometimes multiple times a week.  there are a couple of things I'm frustrated about:

* my song lists are all on paper.  they have no information about the song at all.  it would be nice to be able to sort by key, genre (rock, pop, r&b, motown, etc.).  it would be nice if calling up the song called up the chord chart, which brings me to my next point…

* I looked through many presentation softwares, chord chart management, etc.  they all seem focused on the church crowd.  I need something *simple*.  I choose a song, and the chart that I have available for it (either text or pdf or whatever) is displayed in a split window.

ok, that's what I want, and no one gets what they want.  :)  so, I'm open to any and all ideas.  what do you use?  do you manage your set lists with linux?  chord charts?  I tried the whole "thinking outside the box" and looked for maybe some file management software, but I got overwhelmed quickly.  any and all ideas are welcome.

thanks list!

Josh

--
Josh Lawrence