[LAU] USB audio interfaces >= 8 channels

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Tue May 15 13:31:03 UTC 2012

On 05/15/2012 02:36 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:40:34PM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> On 05/15/2012 12:33 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>>> I don't see any evidence that this is a class compliant USB 2.0
>>> device. As such it seems unlikely to be usable on Linux. This is the
>>> first question you need to resolve.
>>
>> The VSL1818 works OOTB with ALSA >= 1.0.24.
>
> Does that include configuration settings (sample rate, clock source,
> etc.) which are apparently only SW controlled ?

clock-sources: yes. they're exposed by alsa-mixer.
In fact it's a bit of a hassle because they all default to 'external';
but nothing a amixer script can't fix (maybe with OSX or Win one can
write new power-on defaults to the box and even reverse engineer to the
protocol).

sample-rate: don't know. -- good call. I'll check that.

I'm about to get a ssh-login to a debian box with a 1818VSL connected.
So I can poke around before ordering. I've asked to patch an output to
an input so that I can run jack_delay.. -- will report back later. Alas
the box will be ~5500 miles away so I can't play with the hardware itself.

I'm still curious what others think about the device in general or if
anyone has hands-on experience with it.

best,
robin