[LAU] denoising audio files

Ricardus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:57:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 06:36 -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:36 AM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>         Audacity has a noise removal feature that lets you select a
>         few seconds of what you consider noise, and identify that to
>         the program as noise. A good spot for me is areas in a
>         recording that are supposed to be silent but generally aren't
>         if you're recording mic input live. Then you select the whole
>         track and run the noise removal on it. Works well enough for
>         me.
>
> As I mentioned above, unless they have made sudden huge leaps in
> quality of their noise reduction process it isn't really a good
> quality tool.  I know from conversations with Ricardus some of his
> uses and they are similar to what I have done in the past as well, for
> example restoring old analog recordings, etc.  Where depending on the
> source material you have to have a pretty dang minimal artifact
> experience(Recordings of high dynamic range classical music for
> example), and also depending on the source material the exact needs
> may change over time, requiring automation to use effectively.
> Neither of these applied in my experience with Audacity's tool.

 Yes. Thank you.

 I mentioned the idea of a Kickstarter campaign to fund development of
some decent plugins a few weeks ago in the Open Source Musicians forum,
and on linuxDSP's KVR forum, and it had some traction.

 I have no idea if any of the DSP programmers qualified to develop such
plugs are interested, but it would be useful to know how much money we
would have to raise on Kickstarter, to make it viable for them.

 Rich...