[LAU] Digits VST for Linux

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat May 26 13:47:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 3:28 pm, Louis Gorenfeld wrote:
> I might, but there's also limited time I have to improve it. I guess
> it depends on how in-demand it'd be, and how much I'd have to
> rearrange existing code. I'd hoped VST support on Linux would be doing
> well in general, but maybe that's not the case..?

VST is one of those things that sits odd in some parts of the Linux
community. It is not GPL, it is an owned spec. So while the average audio
user might like to have a VST plug in. There are some Distributions that
will not ship with either VST plugins, VST containers or VST support. It
also means some of the people who do a lot of audio coding and maintain
binary packages don't care too much about about improving VST support.

The average Linux user is no longer someone who regularly expects to roll
their own code from source and in fact not that many distros even come
with support for that. So to install from source means looking for and
installing the tools to build with first.

Many people who do audio have a 64bit OS. I know the windows VSTs are all
32 bit, but I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) The Linux VST is
the same.

The most commonly used DAW in Linux does not support VST. It can be
compiled with VST support... but, it requires the tools to build and once
you have done so you will not be able to get support from the Ardour devs
if you have problems. They will first want you to install their pre-built
image.

In the end, it is up to you how much time you want to spend on your
project. You are not charging for it, some people will find a way to use
it so my thought is thank you for making it available on whatever terms
you choose. If you have the time (and interest) try LV2, but don't feel
you must if that will make it feel like a chore. Perhaps if someone else
finds they like it, they will add an LV2 version. (if your  licensing
allows that)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net