[LAU] Box under £400

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed May 30 16:58:03 UTC 2012

On 05/30/2012 06:21 PM, Sciss wrote:
[..]
> thanks for the link and the info. so you think atom processors are
> fine enough? the latency actually doesn't matter in my case. i'm more
> worried that i'm going to through a lot of CPU heavy stuff on it, as
> this will run experimental software I wrote myself (and I won't have
> any time for performance tuning of the software itself).

Really hard to tell. esp. for audio applications. I also have no clue
how efficient supercollider is..

Are you using supernova to make use of multiple cores?

As rule of thumb: Atom CPUs processing power is comparable to that of an
i3 of the same clock-freq. But most Atom chipsets lack some CPU features
- e.g virtualization support. Yet Atom != Atom and i3 != i3 ; it really
depends on the model. I suppose the only way to tell is to try..

What I really like about Atom CPUs for audio is that they can run fan-less.

best,
robin