[LAU] debian wheezy vs pulseaudio vs jackdbus

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 2 06:43:02 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 10:21 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> 2012/10/31 david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com>>
>
>     On 10/30/2012 07:55 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>
>         2012/10/30 david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com
>         <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com> <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com
>         <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com>>>
>

>              You can use Ubuntu repositories with Debian.
>

>         I wonder what you use to resolve depedencies then...
>
>         -r
>

>     I never used it for anything ambitious. Anything I've really needed,
>     Debian has had. And I don't need anything unique to Ubuntu, such as
>     the Unity interface.
>
> indeed, there's no use in it and it is quite dangerous (euphemism here)
> and you should not reccommend it to other users.
>
> it's well known that the majority of ubuntu packages is taken from
> debian unstable and, no matter how you try and how simple is your
> target, installing unstable packages on testing or stable will result in
> a neverend dependencies war - 100%.

I ran a mix of Sid + Unstable for a while, it was OK if you didn't do
silly things like "apt-get upgrade". Aptosid smooths things out a bit, too.

Didn't know Ubuntu was using unstable. It would kind of surprise me.
I've done dist-upgrades and upgrades on my wife's netbook (running
Ubuntu 12.04) without any of the problems I used to get using unstable ...

But I prefer the Debian philosophy to Ubuntu's, and find Unity useless
(and incompatible with applications that we use everyday).

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community