[LAU] Envy24Control is missing the Analog Volume tab - need guidance...

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Nov 5 21:06:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:

> **
>
> On November 5, 2012 06:59:12 AM you wrote:
>

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Tim E. Real <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:
>

> His converters are external. Does ALSA know how to work with
>  such converters? I'll read a bit more tomorrow. I bet some better answers
>  will appear here though...
>

> external converters are invisible to ALSA, just as they are to CoreAudio
> or any other audio API. they exist on the "far side" of the device being
> controlled by the driver, and only exist as far as the driver is concerned
> in an indirect sense - they might control word clock-driven sample rate,
> for example.
>

> Thanks Paul.
>
> Wow that's a bummer. No external converters?

i use(d to use) them all the time (they died and are currently in a repair
queue). there's absolutely no problem with external converters.

> Is there no mechanism to set the converter levels other than hard-coded
> hacks?

i think you're confused tim. external converters generally have no controls
at all. they are hardware boxes with a few switches here and there. there
are often no levels to set, and if there are, its under h/w control (and/or
physical alteration as is the case with my tango24's)

Could this be solved be someone writing a userspace app to do it,

> or is this more of a core ALSA problem which would need wider fixing?

there is no problem to fix. computer OS drivers do not get to reach
"beyond" the devices they control to toggle parameters on unknown devices
that may or may not actually exist. its that simple. my RME device driver
has no idea what type of converters i am using, and no reason to do so.
this is what protocols are for :)