[LAU] Quick question about mudita24

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Nov 12 04:46:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, November 11, 2012 6:24 pm, Niels Mayer wrote:
>> I am just wondering to myself how easy/hard it would be to have the GUI
>> of
>> mudita on a different machine to which it is running.
>
> ssh -Y into the remote box, type mudita24/envy24control and you should
> have
> the full GUI running happily on a remote machine. My box with dual Yamaha
> db60 clones is like that and it works fine -- just like it's local. I use
>  mudita24 on the remote machine to control the Terratec DMX6fire and my
> hacked Dynex/db60 combo ( http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau
> /2010/7/3/171075 outputs Toslink back to the terratec for mixing in
> DMX6Fire. which outputs SPDIF to M-Audio M-66 on desktop machine for more
> mixing :-) )
>
> Without remote X Window display (the whole point of X is that the GUI can
> be remoted to a lightweight PC and the app can run on a big burly machine)

Yup that works. easy to do to. Very slow on my netbook over wireless at
probably 5M... before encription. Doing ssh -y localhost seems pretty
quick though. I would imagine that with a 100M ethernet it should be ok.
However, from what you have said above... maybe I should run the X server
on the old machine with the sound card(s).

> you can also do quite a bit with a remote terminal and alsamixer(1),
> assuming you like using your arrow keys on a keyboard instead of a mouse.

If I could customize it to show what I wanted, in the way I wanted it, it
wouldn't be so bad.

> Finally, both mudita24 and envy24control both have the ability to be midi
> controlled, so you could also remote-control via

I have been looking for an app that will _send_ midi control info. Most
are so old they will no longer build and all are not maintained that I
found.

> http://qmidinet.sourceforge
> .net/qmidinet-index.html by adding the following options to the mudita24
> command-line.
>
>       -m, --midichannel
>               Use  MIDI  controller  values to control the Faders in the
> mixer
>               view.  The application will  react  to  controllers  on
>  channel
>               midi-channel  and send controllers on this channel when the
> user
>               moves the GUI sliders.

This sounds interesting... Does this mean with a dummy alsa-ice1712 driver
I could use mudita as midi controller? Or is there a way to get mudita to
run with no card present?

> PS: also no reason to panic - there seem to be plenty of modern full-size
> mobos with THREE PCI slots so mudita24 has a long life ahead of it:

Good to hear. Three slots means probably two cards at once, there always
seems to be at least one PCI slot that shares an irq (16 often) with lots
of other stuff. With new MB that have 48 or more irqs (many of them
unused) I don't know why any irqs are shared at all. (the internal sound
IF generally uses the highest available IRQ) I have a D66, I would like to
find a used cheap 1010 (d or lt or clone, something with 8 i/o Even the
one that started this thread) It would pretty much use up what I have for
Preamps on my mixer (an OLD Mackie 1604 with 6 mic pre and 10 line
inputs.. only 8 direct outs though). In any case it does not look like I
will be buying a ready built box.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net