[LAU] Requirements for huge multitrack editing

Asa Marco aesir.ml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 10:36:09 UTC 2012

Il giorno Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:39:17 -0800
"Len Ovens" <len at ovenwerks.net> ha scritto:

> On Mon, November 12, 2012 12:10 pm, Asa Marco wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > For the first time in my life I need to work with huge recordings, I
> > would like to understand how much memory and computing power is
> > required to handle it on a linux box with Ardour.
> >
> > The recording, retrieved from an Alesis hd24, will be about 1 hour
> > and a half long, 24 channels, 44.1KHz, 16bit,
> >
> > What are the minimal requirements to work with it?
> >
> > If I choose sample rate and bit depth to be 48kHz/24bit, will it
> > require much more resources (other than disk space)?
>
> To change things to 48k you would have to do that outside of ardour. I
> would suggest against doing that except as a final step after mixdown
> as any time differences from track to track in the resample would be
> magnified by such a long track. Even in shorter cases stereo imaging
> could be affected. It would be best to leave 44100 if at all
> possible. If the end product _has_ to be 48k then expect a (hopefully
> small) loss in quality.

I would choose between 44.1KHz and 48KHz on the multitrack recorder,
so outside of Ardour. Since audio sources are radio microphones whose
specs report a band of 40-18000Hz I think 48Khz would be an unuseful
oversampling (provided a small use of DSP), am I wrong?

> Ardour will switch it to 32bit float internally whatever the input is
> to allow mixing headroom. 24 bit is chosen at export time. However,
> again this would be decided by the final delivery route.

Thank for this information, i didn't know of this behaviour.

--
Asa Marco <aesir.ml at gmail.com> 朝