[LAU] Ubuntu slowing down when using Ardour

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:44:21 UTC 2012

>>* > My setup is as follows:*>>**>>*     > - Ardour3 Beta5*>>*     > - Ubuntu 12.10 64bit*>>*     > - Using the Radeon open driver (FGLRX creates a lot of xruns)*>>*     >*>>*     > Now, I am not trying to start a conversation "Should I use*>>*     Compiz when*>>*     > playing music" or "Ubuntu is crap, what else should I use?" :)*>>*     > I like Ubuntu, I like Unity and I like Ardour3!*>>*     >*>>*     > I am just checking if other people are experiencing the same*>>*     issue, if there*>>*     > is a solution to this problem, what additional testing I should*>>*     do or  what*>>*     > additional information I should provide.*>>**>>**>>*     Wonder if the CPU frequency scaling is causing this issue. I had an*>>*     issue on a Dell machine at work where the box would run really slowly*>>*     if it got the slightest bit hot from being pushed too hard (usually*>>*     doing big Subversion commits or running sipp against a remote server).*>>*     The governor would take it down to the lowest frequency level to help*>>*     the machine cool down. This would even happen if I turned on the*>>*     performance governor. It wasn't a Linux issue at all, because people*>>*     who had the same hardware had the same problem on Windows.*>>**>>**>>* The thing is, the CPU never really goes over 40% usage, the rest of *>>* the machine is still working ok, only Unity/Compix are getting much *>>* slower.*>>**>>* After much testing, it seems to be only the Ubuntu Unity Dash getting *>>* slower, and only after a crash of Ardour3...*>>

>Using Unity 2D or 3D? 2D is supposed to use less.

>My suggestion: drop Unity, use XFCE instead.

> Maybe it helps when you clean up the cache after Ardour crashes?

> sudo sync; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try that out next time.

@David: In Ubuntu 12.10, Unity 2D doesn't exist anymore. And thanks for the
suggestion, but I actually doesn't want to drop Unity for XFCE - I really
like the look and feel of Unity... But that's a discussion for another time
:)

Right now, I have re-installed the FGLRX driver... Looks like the
performance issue is gone, even after an Ardour crash, and I apparently
don't get xruns.... I'll keep you posted!