[LAU] New Computer - Wooo!

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 01:45:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Someone asked about A series AMD machines a while ago. I kept quiet
> because I
> was in the process of getting one. Here is the spec:
>
> MBO     ASUS® F2A55-M LE
> CPU     AMD A8-5600K Quad Core APU (3.6GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7560D Graphics
> MEM     4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz
> SDA     120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s        '/' & /home'
> SDB     180GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s        '/audio' &
> '/source'

The AMD APU's make a pretty interesting platform,  for you CPU watchers out
there :)  Up til now, you weren't probably buying one of these for graphics
performance, but they're interesting as a high performance platform too.
The Kaveri line (Finnish word for friend) due out in 2013 looks very
promising for its performance/power ratio (up to one TFLOP on CPU+GPU with
shared memory on a single chip).
You probably won't be sorry with the A8-5600K either.  Clock speed isn't
everything, but for some DSP applications, you just can't improve on a
single/dual core with a high clock, and that looks pretty nice.

You don't mention the other components like PSU, fans, case, peripherals,
or monitor.  I assume those weren't that significant, but you could easily
spend a few hundred dollars just to reduce the noise by 20 dB.  I'd
appreciate to know how well it works for your setup, in addition to how it
performs.  Oh, and does it keep the place warm in winter?

Chuck